Saturday, October 25, 2008

Today's Lesson...Things You Never Knew You Never Knew

Hi, all!

After a confusing conversation with a lady at church about buying girl's clothing (with both of us using the same words but with completely different meanings), I found out that I don't know the "English" words for the clothes my daughters wear, just the "American English" ones. SO, just so that you don't make the same mistake, if you're coming to England you need to know the following:

1) in the queen's English what we call a sweater is a "jumper,"
2) what we call a jumper is a "tunic," and
3) what we call a tunic is simply a "long top."

If you add this to the previously mentioned lesson about our pants being called "trousers" here and our underwear actually being called "pants" because underwear is "knickers," you are now thoroughly confused but well prepared for your first shopping venture in the United Kingdom.

Oh, yes, and remember to add two sizes to your American size if you'd like any of it to fit (because I really want to feel bigger when I go shopping)!

Cheers, mate!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

that is so funny!

thanks for the shopping tips!