Friday, January 09, 2009

A Kid In A Candy Store...

This week's great accomplishment was getting the kids registered at their schools--all FOUR schools--and getting back into a semblance of a routine. Just for the record, I now know that it takes exactly seven hours (including drive time) to register five children for school. I know you were wondering... So we now have one child in elementary school, two in "intermediate school" (grades 5 & 6), one in junior high, and one at the high school "freshman center." Whew! When did these kids get so big?!!?

Today I register our van for over $2300! I'm finding it a little hard to breathe deeply over that one. Welcome back to the states--ouch!

Things on the home front are also interesting. For all the talk of how great the real estate market is and what a great "buyer's market" we are in, I say, "Where have all the 'good deals' gone?" Everything that we looked at with a screamin' good price had a weird floor plan, nice view of the radar tower, or some other feature that made it, well, "undesirable;" and the homes that fit our list of house requirements left a lot to be desired in both condition and price. What's a girl to do? Well........the end result of the long process is that we, through a very interesting turn of events, are yet again building. You think we'd learn...big grin. Actually, we're both more than a little bit surprised but also both happy with the decision. The good thing about it is that we are going to have a great lot with a phenomenal floor plan in the neighborhood we want and be very close to the elementary school, all for $70 a square foot. I feel like a kid in a candy store (well, a candy store that takes four to five months to give you your order...).

No comments: