Saturday, April 18, 2009

Rant, Rant, Rant...Grrr

I have to vent, and cyberspace seems to be the perfect place to do it.

(To preface the rant, any of you who knew me when I was growing up know that I became a woman overnight, looking like a woman--from a physical development standpoint--when I was about 10. My sweet Jessica is her mother's daughter.)

So here's the rant-worthy scenario... We were driving back from a youth activity late last night to which I had driven Jessica and two of her friends. About half way home, the conversation turned to body types, weight, etc. (you know, the topic that makes every young woman squirm in her seat, wonder why the conversation is even occurring, and feel abysmal about herself), and Jessie's two friends started talking about how "big" they've gotten lately.

Now you have to understand the dynamics at play here. Jess came into her full-grown woman body a very long time ago. Right now she's a beautifully curvy-at-5' 2" size 6/8. She could stand to tone up a little bit and be more active, but can't we all! "Fat" is certainly not a word I would ever use to describe her! She simply has a great--and very mature--figure. In contrast, her two friends still look like little girls with my-body-is-considering-incorporating-them-at-some-point breasts and nonexistent, my-pants-won't-stay-up-to-save-my-life, hips. In fact, most of her friends do. They're 15.

So back to the story... The girls start lamenting the good old days when they were "thin" and wishing they could return to those glory days. (Really, how far back could that possibly be when you're 15?) Then the bomb dropped. As one of them was complaining that she's had to move up a pant size and it's killing her, this comment was elicited from the other girl: "It's ok--you don't look as big as a size 5--you still look like a size 3."

At this point my mind went numb, and all I could think was, "Excuse me--WHAT?!!?!!?"

Also at this point, my beautiful daughter, sitting in the front seat by me, is almost in tears and stops talking. She then turns the music up and starts singing to drown out the painful scenario in the back seat. By the time we drop the girls off and make it home, she is completely inconsolable and clearly considers herself to be the ugliest toad on the planet; and obviously nobody is ever going to want to date or marry her due to said ugliness.

To make matters worse, this is the self-concept train wreck that happened at school earlier in the day: All of the kids were sitting around before Biology harassing each other (you know ninth graders), and Jess was pretty much staying out of it. Someone said something hurtful to someone else that she actually responded to, and some thoughtless boy turned to her and said, "You're just mad because you have low self esteem because you're fat."

WHAT?!!? WHAT?!!? WHAT?!!? And again, WHAT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!? GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel so badly for my beautiful little girl! May I please line them all up and flick them in the forehead?!!?

This is why you couldn't pay me enough to be a teenager again. Seriously, there isn't enough money in the world! It also reminds me of the two years when the only other girl in school who already had to wear a bra became my best friend out of commiserative necessity... Sigh.

When did our society become so skewed that, based on feedback from her peers, this child believes she's fat?

7 comments:

The Giles Files said...

Yep, if I was there, there would have been a size 11 shoe-print on those "size-5-but-you-look-like-you-are-a-size-3's" behind. Girls, and when I mean girls, I am talking about those who don't have a clue, are so mean.

Tell Jess that when I was in high school, all the girls used to complain how much they weighed ..."oh I weigh 135lbs, I am such a fat cow" (I would think to myself - well you got the cow part right)...but I would never tell them how much I weighed. I was never a size 5, even when I had a 6 pack and ran 7 miles a day. I graduated from HS and I weighed 175lbs, and I could bench press 135lbs (you know those fat cows...) I came into my own, and you know what? I was the one dating the hot 6'4" football captain (who was later dear-johned because I met my amazingly hot hubby). I was the one that all the girls were jealous of, and it wasn't because I was a nice size 5 either (I wore a 12):).

Time has a way of humbling those who don't have a clue.

Jess, you are beautiful, and no one can take that away from you. It's yours, own it.

Anonymous said...

M, I'm so sorry! Jess is NOT fat in any way! Hold on Jess, none of this will matter in four years! Girls who fret so about their outer image really are the insecure ones! Perhaps the size 5 girl (and her buddy) will gain 50+ pounds with her first pregnancies and never be the same again!

Scott-ish Nomads said...

Oh, Sherrie, my friend. I SO love you! I'll have her read your comment as soon as she gets home from school!

Scott-ish Nomads said...

J, good point. I'll have her read your comment as soon as she gets home, too. Love ya!

DeAynne said...

Michelle, I have a sister who is one of those "size 3" girls. Even after 3 kids, but I must tell you that she is so not happy. She thinks that guys only want the skinny. Not true. She is divorced, had a relationship with her boss and was 5 months pregnant with his baby when he committed suicide. She still struggles and thinks that the more she works out the better. It isn't so. She is so unhappy because she can't be herself and she doesn't see the beauty that comes from within. Your kids are BEAUTIFUL. What a blessing it is to have a mom like you. And I'm with Sheri, that shoe-print woulda been there from me too. You are a good lady!! Keep up the great work and tell Jessica that we love her.

Scott-ish Nomads said...

Thanks, DeAynne, I'll tell her. Love you! M

J said...

M, got another one for you and Jess--Martina McBride's This one's for the girls. She opens with a blurb about high school.