Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Bon Bons and Soap Operas...

There is one phrase in the English language that should never be uttered--EVER! The phrase goes like this: "All of your kids are in school...so what do you do with all your spare time?"

This evil phrase started creeping into my life when Eryn began kindergarten and has reared its ugly head ever since, insidiously coming out of left field when I least expect it so that the only thing I can think to say is something stellar like "well, you know, stuff."

It happened again today, and I've decided that the correct answer to the question is "WHAT spare time?!!?" Take the last two days, for example... So far "this week," I have attended another parent orientation meeting at the school (this one for fifth grade--the other ones were last week), taken kids to eye appointments, carpooled to scout meeting, attended a several-hour training course so that I can volunteer at the upcoming high school "outdoor experience," coordinated getting children to/from seminary/play practice/soccer practice/cross country, shopped for sporting equipment the kids need for the teams they just made, taxi driven to youth activities, grocery shopped, returned library books, cleaned house, updated our financial files, made several meals, did ten loads of laundry, and coordinated/supervised homework, piano, chores, and gospel study--AND IT'S ONLY TUESDAY!

So the "spare time" that I'm supposed to be enjoying with bon bons and much soap opera watching has proven elusive at best; and that really is alright (since I don't much care for soap operas, and bon bons are seriously overrated). BUT, I've come to a conclusion: the next time someone asks me "the question," I've decided to just smile and hand them my planner and car keys... Oh yah!

7 comments:

Glenda said...

AMEN!

The Giles Files said...

I so agree, Bon Bons are way over-rated! And who needs the "soaps" (as my grandma calls them), I have enough drama in my life :) I miss you my friend! How much longer to you have over there?

Scott-ish Nomads said...

Hi, Sheri. You're right--who needs MORE drama! I miss you, too. It sounds like you guys are having quite the adventure in Idaho. Did you end up in Boise? We're supposed to come back at the beginning of December, but if we could fanagle a way to stay until next summer I would sign up in a heart beat!

Christina said...

What free time?---I totally agree. Whoever says we are just "stay at home mom's" have never walked in our shoes. Actually I don't think we walk, we are always running or driving!!! Any idea where you will end up next? Maybe VA area???? :)

Scott-ish Nomads said...

Absolutely no idea! Do you have a crystal ball I could borrow?

MOJ said...

Another strategy is to TELL THEM, making sure to let the tears flow freely and, if you're up to it, add a "While you're at it, why don't you give me a nice paper cut and poor lemon juice in the wound" expression. They'll never ask again!

Scott-ish Nomads said...

Oh, the lemon juice is a nice touch!